on "ceviche nikkei"



Peru's culinary tradition  is a melting pot of the various cultural influences that are found in the country. One such cultural influence was japan, and the combination of Japanese and Peruvian cuisine   is known as Comida Nikkei in Peru. This is where i get my influence for the dish presented above. Early on in my career i spent some time back packing through Peru and fell in love with the Japanese Peruvian clash. Some of my favorite Ceviches where of the "nikkei" variety which take the traditional Peruvian dish of Ceviche but enhance it with japanese flavor profiles such as soy, mirin, sesame oil, and miso paste.

For this dish i wanted to recreate the ceviches i enjoyed so much  in Peru but present it  in a way that fit my culinary style. I started of with the fish, i knew i wanted to use something fatty and rich that could hold up to the tart ceviche base. I sliced Salmon into sashimi like slices and made a "nikkei" ceviche base  out of lemon juice, miso, soy, ginger, and aji amarillo. The tart umami rich base complimented the fatty salmon without  overpowering it. I garnished the dish with wasabi tobiko, scallions, avocado puree, sliced serranos, sliced onions, and rice paper crisp dusted with furikake and togarashi.

ill post the recipes soon ......

Comments