On simplicity


   The steamed whole snapper is probably the simplest dish that we have on the menu, it is also one of my favorites. It embodies the type of food that i love to cook. As chefs, complicating things more than we have to comes naturally to us, doing this takes little effort. Whats hard in cooking is keeping things simple, taking few ingredients and turning them into something that taste like you spent hours making it. I love South East Asian cuisine because it embodies this philosophy of simplicity.
   For the steamed snapper dish I take local snapper and completely debone it. I rub the inside and outside of the fish with minced garlic and ginger right before it goes into the steamer. Once cooked i remove it from the steamer and discard the excess cooking liquid that develops on the bottom the of the cooking vessel. I take the whole snapper and transfer it the plate, i drizzle the fish with light soy, lemon juice, and a bit of sesame oil. I garnish the dish with sliced scallions, cilantro, and crispy garlic. Super simple, very delicious, add a little spice and your golden.  



Comments