On lime breadcrumbs.....


This is another special I made at the restaurant featuring our local kauai shrimp. They are not always available but when they are I do my best to get my hands on some. For this dish I take the shells of the shrimp and make a shrimp stock out of them with chili bean paste, miso, tomato paste and a variety of aromatics. I'll mix chicken stock and water into the broth for some added body. I marinade the shrimp in garlic, paprika and chili bean paste. On pick up I'll sear the shrimp in a saute pan over medium heat along with garlic and Portuguese sausage; which I ground up in the robot coupe earlier. Once the sausage and garlic start to take on some color I ladle about 6 ounces of the shrimp stock that was made with the shrimp shells into the pan. Once the shrimp are cooked I remove them from the pan and mount the sauce with butter. I then pour the pan sauce over the shrimp and garnish the plate with lime aioli and lime breadcrumbs.
The lime breadcrumbs is a simple technique I picked up a while back. All I do is take some panko breadcrumbs and toss them in some melted butter. I dry the breadcrumbs in a low oven and then place them into a robot coupe with some kosher salt and fried parsley. I pulse the breadcrumbs untill they have taken on a bright green color and then transfer them into a bowl. I zest 2 limes with a micro plane and mix with the green bread crumbs, taste for seasoning and its good to go. Its a citrusy textural component that works well with many dishes.

Comments