on nuoch cham


Nuoch cham is a series of vietnamese chili condiments that vary depending on what you put inside it. At its basic form it consists of vinegar, garlic, ginger, and chili pepper flakes. More complex variations will add fish sauce, dried shrimp, or fermented shrimp paste amongst other things. If you add fish sauce to the nuoch cham then it becomes nuoc mam pha which is the type of nuoh cham that we pair the heiloom tomatoes with at Ulu. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts this sauce works really well with the the heirloom tomatoes because it has notes of vinegar and spice which accentuate the natural sweetness and tartness of the tomatoes. The recipe I use of at the restaurant is 1 part sugar, 1 part vinegar and 1/2 part fish sauce. I'll bring those three ingredients to a boil and mix in chili pepper flakes, ginger, and sliced garlic; the amounts of these last three items can vary depending on your taste. I put enough so that you get hints of spice and ginger with a slight funk coming from the garlic. One of the main reasons why I like this sauce so much is its versatility. It works well on crudos, fried items, salads, and fish. Its definitely a good one to have in your repertoire. Hit me up if you want the exact recipe I use at the restaurant. 

Comments