On Caramelized Cauliflower

    This is by far my favorite dish on the current menu for two simple reasons. The first one being the caramelized cauliflower and the second the fried egg that tops it.  When you caramelize cauliflower it takes on almost a nutty flavor profile, it's super tasty especially paired with something acidic like a simple vinaigrette. This reminds me of a dish I made once which consisted of caramelizing cauliflower and kale in a pan with a good amount of olive oil, as the cauliflower would start to brown the kale would begin to fry and crisp up. After the cauliflower was cooked I would place both items in a bowl and toss it with chives, marcona almonds, and white balsamic vinaigrette. Simple but delicious. 
    On the Big Island we are lucky enough to get cauliflower all year round. I knew I wanted to have a fried egg dish on the menu because it's one of those things that I'm a really big fan of. I've always said that you can put a fried egg on anything and it makes it taste so much better. If you don't believe me just try it. I decided to pair the fried egg with some cauliflower. I caramelize the cauliflower in a sauté pan over medium heat, once it's golden brown I toss in some garlic slices, salt, and scallions.  I put a good amount of spicy aioli ( siracha, eggs, vinegar, canola oil, salt, sugar) on the bottom of the bowl, I place the cauliflower over that and the fried egg over the cauliflower. I garnish the egg dish with micro cilantro and pickled red onions. Delicious with so many levels yet so simple. Here is a picture of the dish. 

Comments