On Hawaiian Ahi...


About three weeks ago I changed the tuna dish on our dinner menu. To say that I wasn't a big fan of the dish as a whole would be an understatement. I found it to be lacking in creativity, it consisted of wok fired vegetables and a wasabi beurre blanc. There was nothing special or original about the dish. In fact I would even say that the entire island serves tuna in similar fashion; if not with the beurre blanc then its usually a soy glaze of some sort. As I have mentioned on previous entries the tuna that is available to us is on another level, its super fresh and very top quality. Whenever I make any dish I plan all the garnishes, vegetables, and sauces around the main component; as it should always be. I wanted to pair the tuna with elements that would bring forth the flavor and meaty qualities of the tuna. A really good way of accentuating an ingredient is by adding touches of acid, spice, or umami. I paired the roasted Ahi with gochujang which is a korean sweet and spicy chili paste, a salad consisting of sugar snap peas with lemon, and furikake. All the components work harmoniously next to one another, accentuating the delicate flavor of the tuna. It seemed only natural to throw some heirloom carrots in the mix since they pair very well with the peas, lemon, and gochujang. Here are some pictures of the new Ahi dish.




Comments

  1. Hello chef,

    It looks like your adventure on the tropical island is going well.
    I myself just came back from my trip to Japan. I truly enjoyed my daily routine of going grocery shopping for seafood to cook for my family. I had complete forgotten how really fresh fish taste like while staying far from a sea for 3 years. I'm sure tuna you get to cook and eat over there is noting but fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shiege sorry i took so long to answer . Everything is going great over here. Japan sounds amazing, its definitely on my bucket list. Hope you good, where are you working now?

      Delete

Post a Comment