On foie and Tuna.....

Foie gras and Ahi tuna is a combination that may not sound too appealing or appetizing, but in all honesty it actually works really well side by side. I've had these two ingredients paired together on a couple of occasions. The last time I had it was at Le Bernadin. They do a foie gras terrine which is draped with thin slices of tuna carpaccio. To finish the dish they drizzle it with extra virgin olive oil and top it with chives and sea salt. Having enjoyed the combination so much I decided to make my version of foie and tuna. I seared a piece of tuna loin and placed it in the cooler, once cold I cut it into thin slices.  I placed my sliced tuna loin on the plate and piped a foie gras mousse over it. The mousse was spiked with a bit of maple syrup to give the dish a note of sweetness. I made a salad out of shaved celery, celery leaves, and granny smith apples dressed in a lemon vinaigrette. I placed the salad over the tuna and finished the dish with maldon salt and micro celery. The richness of the mousse played off the umami profile of the seared tuna without overpowering it. The light celery and granny smith apple salad brought it all together and enhanced the flavors of the main ingredients. I was very pleased with the outcome of the dish; here are some pictures.....


Comments