On rillettes.....

    The easiest way to describe a rillette is to call it a rustic pate. Traditionally made with pork, the meat (usually pork belly or pork shoulder) is cut into small portions and cooked slowly in fat until it becomes tender enough to shred. The shredded meat is then cooled with the strained fat and drippings leftover from the cooking process. Rillettes are normally used as a spread for bread or toast and is usually served at room temperature but can also be served cold. Rillettes are also made with other meats like goose, duck, chicken, game birds, rabbit and even sometimes with fish; such as anchovies, tuna, or salmon. Originally this method of preparation came out of the necessity to maintain meat as long as possible without spoiling. Properly prepared rillettes can hold up to 2 months due to its high fat content.
   The idea of putting cold shredded pork meat mixed with congealed fat and drippings over toasted bread might not sound too appetizing. I myself was a little skeptical to try it but I found that if properly executed it can be quite tasty. Whenever I make rillettes at the restaurant I like to use pork belly and cut it into 3 inch squares. I'll place the pork in a 6 inch hotel pan with 2 quarts of chicken stock, bay leaves, fennel seeds, star anise, fresh ginger, cloves, and coriander seeds. I'll cover the hotel pan with foil and bring it to a simmer. When it comes up to temperature I place it in a 275F oven and cook it for 3 hours.  After the 3 hours take the pork out of the pan and shred it, at this point I'll season the meat and mix with some chopped preserved lemon. The liquid leftover I'll strain and reduce by half. I pack the shredded meat into mason jars and top with the reduced drippings and fat from the pork. Before serving make sure to cool in the refrigerator for at least a day to let the pork juices and fat congeal and set. Here is some pictures of pork rillettes I made about 2 weeks ago. I served it with grilled bread, pickled cubanelle peppers from our roof top garden, frisee salad, cornichons and whole grain mustard.



Comments