on freezing tuna....

        Here is a crudo dish which we are currently running on our fall menu. I'm pairing the ahi tuna  with basil oil, olive soil, bloomed mustard seeds, and micro celery. I brush the tuna with a good quality olive oil and season it with sea salt. I like to freeze my tuna prior to slicing it, this allows me to get nice clean even slices every time without affecting the quality. I take the tuna logs and roll them in plastic wrap. I then take the ends of the plastic wrap and twist them tightly making sure to prevent any air from being captured in the log. Once tightly wrapped I place the wrapped tuna in the freezer for a couple of hours. Before service starts I take the frozen logs out and let them defrost a bit at room temperature, about 5 minutes. I cut the tuna logs while still frozen and place them on a parchment paper lined sheet pan to defrost prior to serving. Here is a picture of what the finished product looks like.

Comments

  1. Hi Chef,

    my name is Shige. I'm a cook/culinary student currently residing in Toronto, Canada. I recently found your blog and started reading your older posts. All your dishes look fantastic. I wish I could sample them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shiege im glad your enjoying the blog. Thanks for the kind words and support. Let me know if your ever in New York well take good care of you in the restaurant.

      Delete

Post a Comment