On spanish Salmorejo.....

    Salmorejo is a thick tomato based soup originating in Cordova (Andalusia) in the south of Spain where the weather is really hot especially during the  summer time. This soup is a simple version of gazpacho with a pink-orange appearance. It differs in that the consistency is much thicker because it includes more bread and it also has less ingredients in the recipe. It is made with tomatoes, bread, oil, garlic, and vinegar and garnished with diced Spanish serrano ham and diced hard boiled eggs. In Andalusia it is known by several other names; including ardor and porra. Like most dishes you find in different cultures various variations exist and recipes differ from cook to cook.
   I'm serving Salmorejo on our current summer menu. I take the tomatoes and concasse them. I place my chopped tomatoes in the blender with some garlic, sherry vinegar, toasted bread, and salt and blend it all on high heat until it acquires a thick and smooth consistency. Most recipes will add the olive oil with the rest of the ingredients, i like to cool my Salmorejo and whisk in the olive oil at the end. When working with a good quality olive oil any exposure to heat will change its flavor profile, often times making it bitter. As mentioned above salmorejo is served with chopped eggs and serrano ham. I took my Serrano ham and gave it a quick fry in order  to give the dish a different textural element. For the eggs; I hard boil them, separate the egg whites from the egg yolk and grate them into separate containers. I'm serving my Salmorejo with poached shrimp, I feel that it pairs well with this refreshing tomato soup. I finish the dish with some coriander and extra virgin olive oil before serving it. Here are some pictures of the Salmorejo.



Comments