on pork belly.....

    If theres one thing that i truly love and have a sincere appreciation for its pork belly. I love pork in general buts theres something about its belly that draws my attention and appetite. I can't get enough of the layers upon layers of fat and meat, its a  textural combination made in heaven. I put a pork belly dish on the menu  recently. Im pairing it with local plums, plum preserve we make in house, pistachios, lime, and herbs that we grow on our roof top garden. Its one of the dishes which I'm most excited about on our current menu.\
    Whenever i put  pork belly on the menu i use the same method of preparation. Ill brine the belly for 24 hours  and then roast it in the oven covered with foil  at 290F for 4 hours. Once the pork belly comes out of the oven  i put it in a 2 inch hotel pan place another hotel pan directly on it and apply some weight as it cools down in the refrigerator(4 #10 cans of plum tomatoes will do the trick).I do this so that the pork belly maintains an even shape as it cools down, this will help you out when you get ready to portion it. On pick up ill either pan sear it until crispy or ill  toss it in some rice flour and fry it.
    I don't use the typical ratio of sugar to salt when making a brine for pork belly. I add a little extra sugar, you want your brine to taste like sweet sea water, its really a thing of preference it adds a hint of sweetness to the finish product. I use star anise, lemongrass, cloves, cinnamon, ginger,bay leaves, fennel seeds, and peppercorn as my aromatics for the brine but any aromatics depending on what your pairing it with will do.

Here are some pictures of the pork belly dish we are currently serving for restaurant week...





Comments