On Monk Fish Mussels and Uni......

Heres a dish I made the other day. Pan seared monkfish with shrimp and mussel stew; Israeli cous cous, chive oil, anise, and Maine Uni.

For the shrimp and mussel stew:
I steamed the mussels  with tomatoes, saffron, white wine, garlic, basil, fresno chillies,  yellow peppers, and bay leaves. Once cooked I removed them from the liquid and cooled them down. I strained the liquid and reduced slightly to make a stock after which I strained again. Once the mussels cooled down I removed them from their shell and placed them into quart containers. On pick up I sautéed some shrimp, in garlic, basil, and heirloom cherry tomatoes. The shrimp were removed once cooked. Adding my mussel stock to the pan, I reduced that by half and mounted the liquid with butter, uni, and brining liquid from some pickled peppers I had laying around. To finish the stew I added the shrimp back in with the mussels and some Israeli cous cous.

The monk fish is simply salted and pan seared. On plate up I put the stew down first, slice the monk fish in four pieces and place on top of the stew. I garnish the plate with some additional uni, micro anise,  and chive oil.


Comments