On squid ink agnolotti....

    Many chefs tend to shy away from making fresh pasta and I can see why they would.  We serve a couple of pasta dishes on the menu, but with limited staff I don't have the luxury to make fresh pasta on a daily basis. Just to give you a basic picture, I have two cooks for the dinner shift and the restaurant can do up to 150 covers on a busy day plus another 30 for the bar and another 50 for room service.  Thats a pretty good number for two cooks and myself. Luckily I have a very talented team, some of which I've worked with for over 5 years. Making fresh pasta is a very tedious task but one that I enjoy from time to time. My all time favorite pasta to make would be agnolotti. I like it because it has an intriguing shape and its a very versatile pasta which you can adapt to use any time of year. Just the other day I made squid ink agnolotti filled with summer corn and chorizo, I paired it with lobster, basil, tangerine lace, and a lobster saffron reduction. Ive tried a good amount of agnolotti dough recipes and here's the one that I find works the best for me.

500 grams of semolina
500 grams of high gluten flour
200 grams of whole eggs
115 grams of water
25   grams of squid ink
15   grams of salt
15   grams evoo

Here are some pictures of the special. Depending on the humidity of your work environment you might need to add more flour to your dough.




Comments