On cubanelle peppers.......

    Cubanelle peppers are a sweet and mild pepper that has a taste similar to that of a bell pepper with just a little more heat. Unlike bell peppers which have thick walls, the cubanelle has thin walls making it perfect for frying; hence its other name "the frying pepper". When mature the peppers grow to be up to 5 inches long. They have a light yellowish green color, but they will turn bright red if allowed to ripen fully.
    We planted some Cubanelle's earlier this year on our roof top garden, with much success we are staring to get an overabundance of them. So I decided to pickle a batch that I will use later on once the weather starts getting colder. The pickled peppers will give that little acidity needed in order to balance some of the heavier winter dishes like stews and braises. Whenever I pickle peppers I like to remove all the seeds and cut them into strips. I'll then toss the strips of peppers with a heavy amount of salt and some vinegar. I'll let the peppers sit in the salted vinegar solution for a good hour. After the hour passes I rinse my peppers throughly, and bring a good amount of vinegar up to a boil. I'll then place my pepper strips into mason jars and cover them with the hot vinegar, I cover the jars directly after and let them cool down at room temperature. Any vinegar will do, you can also add aromatics to the vinegar to give it different flavor profiles. I like to incorporate bay leaves, thyme and garlic. Here are some pictures of the cubanelles from our roof top garden.

 

Comments

  1. When you make the salt cure, how wet is it? Wet sand consistency?

    Love your pics too man, what's your rig?

    Are you back at your restaurant yet or are you still doing stages?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dan....

      the salt cure is very wet.....think of vinegary salt water.You really dont want your peppers salty,just slighlty seasoned. I never left the restaurant, i stage mostly in the mornings. Anywhere from 9:00am-2:30pm depending on what part of the city im in, sometimes ill stay a bit later on my days off.

      I take pictures in natural light....we have huge windows at the restaurant with exceptional light coming through during the afternoons. I use a Nikon D90 with your basic 18-105mm lense.(depending on the light, but for the most part)3.5 aperture, iso 500, shutter speed 1/125, with the white balance set on daylight.

      Delete

Post a Comment