On Bulgur Wheat.....

    Simply put, bulgur is a quick cooking form of whole wheat that has been cleaned, parboiled, dried, ground into particles, and sifted into distinct sizes. I have seen around four distinct grind sizes as well as whole kernels which provide different textural elements for its many food applications. When cooked it has a nutty aroma reminiscent of roasted almonds. Besides providing a pleasant palatable experience;  bulgur is very healthy for you, high in fiber and rich in b vitamins, iron, phosphorus, and magnese.
    I have a good amount of medium ground bulgur wheat at the restaurant, I had initially meant to order the small grind variety for a lebanese dish called Kafta Nayeh but I received the wrong spec. The lebanese dish involves mixing cooked bulgur with raw lamb, herbs and spices (think of it as a lebanese style tartar). Just the other day I braised some pork cheeks with moroccan influences, I originally wanted to pair it with an aromatic couscous but in its absence I decided to use up the bulgur I had laying around. If you haven't cooked bulgur before it's a very simple and quick process due it being parboiled.  For every quart of bulgur wheat you will need a quart of boiling water. I took some onions  and cooked them in brown butter, once translucent I added turmeric, saffron, cinnamon, cardamon, bay leaves, and salt along with the quart of water to the pot. You want to make sure that your cooking liquid is a bit salty, using the same concept as cooking a rice pilaf. Bring your water to a boil and then dump the bulgur all at once making sure to stir it well. Remove from heat and cover tightly for 30 minutes and its as simple as that. Here is a  picture I took of the spiced bulgur I paired with the pork cheeks.


Comments